Monday, July 14, 2008

How I caught the bug

This was taken from an April '07 post on my personal blog. Since this post, I have added 3 more states and Guatemala to my list (and I've now been on earth for 21 years) =).

________

Traveling is one of my favorite things. I've caught the bug! The feel of new places, smells, sights, cultures....it's just indescribable.

"One of my favorite things is to go where I've never been"

~Diane Arbus

Growing up, my family was always on the go. If there was the slightest little reason to travel, we did it! We went to every family reunion, wedding, funeral, tourist destination, educational museum; it was amazing. We would pile in the van with a stack of books, books on tape, and enough snacks to feed the whole state, and off we would go.

Once, we hit 10 states in 10 days...stopping only to do the tourist things. Heaven forbid if we had to stop too often to use the restroom. Once we were on a mission, nothing would detour us. I got to where the moment I would get in the van, surrounded by the grey walls and leather, I would just immediately fall asleep. You think I'm kidding but it's the honest truth. =)

My parents took the job of homeschooling us kids very seriously. We would spend hours at science museums, historical monuments, war reenactments on old battlefields, national parks and forests, aquariums, and every other venue that could be considered "educational". I think we learned more on vacation than we did the entire school year (and that's saying a lot)! We kids would moan "nooooo.....not another civil war museum" or "Mom, we can't take another educational thing on this trip".

Even though when I was growing up, I wasn't always excited about leaving town and missing church and parties, today I'm extremely thankful. My parents worked extra hard to broaden our horizons and expand our little minds to think outside of our little southern culture.

So this is what is to blame for my infection of the traveling bug. =) In my 20 years on earth, I've been to 41 of the United States. I've also been to Canada, Mexico, Japan, Botswana, South Africa, England, Switzerland, France, Belgium, and Germany.

No comments: