Thursday, July 31, 2008

New England Vacation - Mt. Washington

It feels like I'm never going to finish posting about our little vacation! See, I told you guys we cram a lot in! We were only gone from Wednesday afternoon to Monday night. Sheesh!

Okay so we are now on Saturday. Right after whale watching, we hit the road, heading for New Hampshire. Once again, we saw a lot of country side and I did a lot of sleeping. =) Our goal was Mt. Washington. More specifically - Cog Mountain Railway. We spent the night in a lodge type place in Bretton Woods. Bretton Woods is pretty remote but I hear they have great skiing in the winter.

We ate dinner at some place called Grandma's Kitchen (I believe it's in the neighboring town). It was pretty yummy. I had pancakes and they were HUGE!

Sunday morning, we packed up and headed for Cog Mountain early. Cog Mountain Railway was the first Cog railway in world. It climbs up the side of the mountain to to the 6,288' summit. One section is called Jacob's Ladder and has a grade of 37.41% - impressive! Advance reservations are recommended for the 3 hour trip so check out http://www.thecog.com/ for more info.








1 comment:

Melody said...

I didn't realize you had this post...I am outdated in the "travel blog" area. I think I would have been freaking out on the train ride....I'm not much for climbing mountains....expecially on a really OLD train! =)